Keeping your dog healthy takes lot of effort and lots of dedication. If you want to keep your dog healthy then must keep it clean otherwise your dog will fall prey to thousands of deadly diseases. Cleaning process involves trimming your dog’s hair, nail, bathing your dog and brushing his hair and teeth on a regular basis. If you don’t know how to keep the ears of your dog clean then below are mentioned some very simple steps that are going to guide you on how to clean dogs ears.
Why to keep dog ears clean?Cleaning dog ears is a very important task as your dog can face more health risks due to dirty ears. The issue with dogs is that the length of their ear canals is very long. The usual length of a dog’s ear canal is almost 5cm to 10cm. Another biological issue is that dogs tend to take right-angled bend so anything that goes inside their ears, finds it really hard to come out. If a dog enters a swimming pool then the water that will enter his ear canal during the swim will remain inside his ear. Such issues can lead straight to serious ear infections.
Things to keep in mind
You must always keep two things in mind:
- If your dog is a regular swimmer then you need to clean your dog’s ears after every swim, because the water that remains in your dog’s ears after the swim will cause serious ear infections.
- If your dog gets ear infection or skin allergies lots of time then you must clean your dog’s ears on a regular basis.
- Doctors usually suggest cleaning your dog’s ear once every week but if your dog has sensitive ears then you need to clean the ears twice or thrice a week.
Things you need
You might need cotton wool, an ear cleaner, some goodies or toys for this procedure.
How to clean?
- First of all you must call your dog near you and offer him with some goodies or a toy to make him comfortable.
- Next you need to show him ear cleaner so he gets to understand that you are going to clean his ears.
- You need to fill the required amount of ear cleaner inside the dog’s ears.
- While filling the ear cleaner inside the ear canal you need to handle the ear with delicate hands and you need to hold the cleaner tube in a vertical position.
- Now you need to insert your hand delicately inside the upper part of the ear canal and massage the cleaner on the walls of the canal and on the outer portion of the ear.
- Massage the ear for almost 20 to 30 minutes and then stand back because your dog will now try to shake off the cleaner from his ears.
- Now you can clean the outer portion and opening of the ear with cotton wool.
This is all how to clean a dog’s ears. Afterwards when you have completed the whole ear cleaning procedure, don’t forget to reward your dog with a goody or any other gift because it will encourage him to remain calm the next time he will have his ears clean.